Surkhet. The progress of the national pride Bheri Babai Diversion Project, which was started in the fiscal year 2071/72, has reached more than 83 percent. The progress of this project, which is being constructed with the aim of diverting the water of the Bheri River into Babai and providing irrigation to Banke and Bardiya, has currently reached 83.7 percent.
A dam is being built on the Bheri River in Chiple, Bheriganga Municipality-11, Surkhet, and the water of Bheri is being diverted to the Babai River on the border of Surkhet and Bardiya through a 12.2 kilometer tunnel. It aims to provide irrigation facilities to about 51,000 acres of land in Banke and Bardiya, along with generating 46 megawatts of electricity.
The project, which is estimated to cost 33.19 billion 6.6 million, has so far spent 16.96 billion. The structures including the slopes of two of the six ‘ways’ of the dam, gravel trip, fairway, lift wall and others have been constructed at the dam site.
The work of slope stabilization at the ‘surge shaft’ construction site has been completed and the shaft excavation has begun by placing a crane to dig the shaft with a color beam slope, informed the project information officer Pawan Adhikari. The work of the steel line of ‘ways one and two of the ‘slipway’ of the project site has been completed and most of the ‘design’ related to hydromechanical is in the approval stage, the information officer said.
‘Three draft tubes have already arrived in the field,’ he said, ‘Electromechanical related equipment including transformer-3 and turbine runner-1 have also arrived.’ He said that an agreement has been reached regarding the power transmission line and an agreement has been reached regarding the power line study and EIA study.
Out of the 33 hectares of land required for the project, a notice was published in the last fiscal year for the acquisition of 10.59 hectares of land and the work of confirming the ownership of the land has also been completed. Compensation for 6.53 hectares of land has been paid and the remaining is in the process.
The project has stated that the project has not been able to gain momentum due to repeated obstruction by the locals. The process has been moved forward after locals submitted an application to the project regarding compensation for the exempted public land and the structures built on that land.
The official said that there is a lack of clear policies and procedures regarding the acquisition of public land, and the change of ownership of public land adds to the procedural complexity.
To remove the obstruction from the construction site on the left bank of Babai where the power house will be built, the demands of the locals have been addressed by moving forward with the existing civil construction contract in some areas and with a new contract in other areas.
The construction business has been given emphasis and guidance on proper management of the necessary skilled manpower, machinery, equipment, and construction materials, as well as the necessary He said that coordination has been done. Although various problems have been encountered in the land acquisition process, the project is moving forward in coordination with the local administration and other relevant bodies to facilitate it.
The project has stated that the proposal submitted for the public land has been approved and is currently in the implementation phase. The project, which the government said would start from the fiscal year 2068/69, started only in 2071/72.
In the first phase, the China Overseas Engineering Group (COVEG) was given the task of constructing the tunnel by Chaitra 15, 2076. But the company completed the 12.2-kilometer-long tunnel before the deadline given to it.
On April 3, 2076, Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli performed the ‘breakthrough’ of the 12-kilometer tunnel in Chiple, Bheriganga-11, Surkhet. The second phase of the project, which gained attention for the tunnel being drilled a year ahead of schedule using cutting-edge technology, is progressing at a slow pace.
Out of the Rs 1.77 billion allocated for the project for the current fiscal year, only Rs 460 million has been spent so far, said project chief Rana Bahadur Bam. So far, 66 percent physical progress has been made in the project. He said that 150 people are working at the project site daily.
प्रतिक्रिया दिनुहोस्